Sunday, September 23, 2012

Advice of the sorts...

I've been here at college for a month now and some things have been bothering me about human nature.  I see people and I have people trying to compare their problems to others problems and my problems.  Now, I mostly have this annoyance when people try to compare stress levels.  "Oh, I'm so stressed.  I have this, this and this. Blah, blah, blah.  You just couldn't understand."  Um, excuse me.  Did it ever occur to you that the person that you are trying to say "couldn't understand" has just as much, if not more going on in their life?  But what it really comes down to is the ability to handle stress.

(Warning: I'm going into college terms)  If you are an individual that enjoys staying busy and working hard then taking 18 credit hour and being involved with clubs at school might be a lot, but it's not to much for you.  Other people might have a hard time keeping up with 15 credit hours and one club.

My point is that everyone is different.  Everyone has different amounts of stress that can handle.  Yes, your problems may seem ginormous to you, but to someone else they could seem impossible to take on, or really easy. 

Never be afraid to ask for help.  Whether it is homework, help with a project at work, or helping work a problem out with a friend.  There are tutors, bosses that will help and even (here at Cottey) you have peer listeners and counselors that are here for us to talk to.  They want us to succeed and accomplish everything that needs to be accomplished.

Another thing to remember is not to be to quick to lash out at people.  They could have a lot going on in their life just as you could have a lot going on in yours.

And never, never, EVER make someone feel like they are less for the amount that they can take on.  We are all wonderful, beautiful human beings with unique strengths and weaknesses.  If you can take on a busy life style, great for you.  If not, don't worry about it.

So, breathe and calm down.  Drink a cold glass of water and compose your thoughts.  But mostly, be kind and sympathetic to others.

Peace, love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment