Thursday, August 30, 2012

College.... Hmmm.....

College is an interesting thing.  Going to an all girls college is an especially interesting thing.

The girls here are pretty amusing.  The first few days of oreintation we all dressed casually and put some effort into our appearances.  The day classes started nearly everyone was rocking sweat pants, yoga pants, messy buns, and pony tails. 

Highlight #1 of going to a small all girls school: It's all girls, there are no boys around, we don't have to get all dolled up for guys.

Another fun thing, my friend Meghan taught me this cup-slap rhythm thing. We then taught Tami and Meagan.  We then thought, "How cool would it be to pass it from person to person?" And so we did.  We've been playing with it for 2 days and have figured out a few songs that go with the rhythm.  Tami, Meghan, Amanda(a very nice girl that already knew it) and I were singing and smacking out the rhythm for Firework.  We had some people staring in amazement and others looking at us like we were crazy.

Highlight #2 of going to a small all girls school: We are all pretty crazy. We are all going to do some silly things. So far we just laugh and join the silliness.

Being homeschooled all my life, I've never really had such a formal learning environment. It is beyond bizarre and extremely different.  I'm sure the classes are going to be challenging but I know that with some hard work, I'll be able to make it through just fine.

Highlight #3 of going to a small all girls school: The teachers really care about our success and encourage us to ask questions and help them help us.  I know that I'll be asking at least one professor for some extra help and I know they will be happy to help me.

 Oh, last thing I love about college. Random dance parties and random singing.  We had one the other night thanks to the wonderful Hayden and it was SUCH a blast.  We wopped, wobbled, two steped, line danced.....all around it was just a great time!  Earlier tonight I put on some music and the first song that came on was "Don't Rain On My Parade" Susie my lovely roommate looked at me and started singing.  We then(probably slightly offkey) started singing Don't Rain On My Parade.  It was great.

Highlight #4 of going to a small all girls school: No one seems to mind being their silly selves.

That is all I have about my college experience so far. It has been a really positive week and I expect it to stay just as positive!

P.S. Slighty relevent side note.....I just found out I received a lead role in the first show of the semester..... yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment